Wednesday 11 July 2007

Wedding Belles

Wow, it's been a while since my last post. It's been a bit chaotic because I have been in France and Italy on vacation for a little while and immediately before that I had my friend come to stay with me. Then I got back last week and it was my elder sister Tamzin's wedding!

What a great day that was. Really loved it. The wedding was in the same church Floyd and I married in. It is a very pretty tiny church up in the Kentish Downs, about 300 yards down the lane from mum and dad's house.

I read a Shakespeare sonnet (the same one my sister read at my wedding).

It's so picturesque up there. My parents have a very old cottage perched on the edge of the valley and have panoramic views all around. It's my favourite place in the world. No other houses around and no traffic or noise. You could be living in any century.

My parents roof was covered in splattered eggs as apparently if you put an egg on the bride's roof, you will have good weather on your wedding day. Hmmm... My mother gently rolled an egg out of the dormer window in the roof and it sat in the gutter. But Tamzin and Tom thought they would throw them at the roof instead! It worked! The weather was great. It really makes it or breaks it up there. The location is so high up (480 feet above sea level) with no protection from the winds. So when it is sunny, it is heaven on earth. When it is raining or windy, it's awful. You need to huddle around the woodstove and go to bed with all your clothes on!

But it was great. Quite a smart wedding. I had bought a nice Max Mara dress in Florence in a sale - 75 Euros. Amazing! And we were done.

My elder sister Clare, plus hubby Rex and my dear niece Alex came over from France. Alex was a bridesmaid and looked lovely, as always. She took charge very well of the other more wriggly and younger flower girls!! :-) I will add more pics as I finally download them all!

I hate being back at work in London though. Back to the tubes, the commuting, the broken down buses. The terror threats that are meant to have us in a state of panic. Yuk.


2 comments:

Clare said...

And didn't we all have a great time. The egg was still on the roof yesterday morning so lets hope it rains a bit to get rid of it. Gorgeous photos Soph, specially the misty one.

Soph said...

Yeah, it cost a fortune to get the smoke machine in to do the valley ;-) Hee hee!