Tuesday 17 July 2007

Almighty DVD in aid of Leukaemia Research

So for anyone new reading this blog, if you don't already know the background, my husband Floyd was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia in September 2004. He was 3 weeks away from popping his clogs apparently and the docs gave him a 50/50 chance of surviving his 4 aggressive courses of chemo. He pulled through 7 months of hell where we declined a bone marrow transplant and also where I nearly lost him to a deadly fungal infection - but made it he did.

Floyd is the bass player in The Almighty. They were a very successful punk rock band hailing from Glasgow. They formed as school friends in 1988 and Floyd left the band for good in 2000. The band parted company 2 years later.

As Floyd's treatment was ending and our wedding was drawing nearer and after much nagging and a bit of double crossing each band member, I got them all talking about a reunion in aid of Leukaemia Research. I practised my new found nagging skills on newspaper editors, rock mag editors, photographers and old music biz acquaintances and the result was 2 huge sell out shows in January 2006. One in the band's hometown of Glasgow and one in London. We raised £25,000 for leukaemia research and launched the 'WELCOME TO DEFIANCE' red wristband for the charity. This is the name of one of the band's hits and it was also Floyd's motto during treatment. The band loved the shows so much and the reception and praise they received from the fans and the media have had them reform for more shows. Last Demcember was a tour of the UK and there is talk of a new tour in 2008. The shows were so great! We honoured Floyd and had the times of our lives! The buzz from the audience was just electric!

I got a film crew in for the Glasgow show but it has taken all this time to get the thing produced and edited. It's been a long time but the band are incredibly proud to release the offical live DVD, completely in in aid of Leukaemia Research!

More info on the release is here and it can be bought online from Leukaemia Research here.

We are so determined to keep fighting against leukaemia and to see it's demise in our lifetimes. Leukaemia Research is the only national charity in the UK dedicated to leukaemia and other blood cancers and they are NOT funded by the government, even though 25,000 people a year are disagnosed in the UK. They rely soley on charitable donations but still managed to invest millions each year in to vital research. I have met many of the scientists who have received grants for the LRF and am astounded at some of the research that has just come to light. Next year will see 2 human clinical trials funded by LRF. The future does indeed look bright!

So if you are keen to support The Almighty Fund at Leukaemia Research and add to our £25,000 (I believe this is closer to £28,000 after the first week of DVD sales, please buy a wristband or a live DVD).

Floyd's story is highlighted in a clip below. I hope it works, I am a bit shaky on embedding movies in Blogger.














2 comments:

Lucia said...

soph I will be there in 2008 if they tour again I will promise to come!

p.s. do you not use MSN anymore?
x

Soph said...

Hooray!

It is very likely The Almighty will tour again in 2008 as it is the band's 20th anniversary! Get your leathers and studs out Looch, ya know ya wanna!

To be honest, I haven't used MSN very much because I am quite sad about using it after Davo passed away. I am sure I will but....I am a baby!

I would love to beg a copy of that DVD from you if I can? The recent BBC series. One chap was from my old hometown Ashford and I am was sad to miss episodes when I was on hols...

Take care,

S xxxx