Tuesday 26 August 2008

Good Luck Stoat

I bit the bullet and entered my first photographic competition! (albeit partly against my will). Stoaty's gone in to a wildlife competition. As nice as the photo is, I don't think it is technically good enough because it's not sharp or clear. Believe me, these things really matter when you have a huge competition with very serious judges and are up against amazing photographers. So although I love it, it's just not up to scratch because it was taken so spontaniously.

I got my knickers in a twist the night before I sent it off. I couldn't decide how to crop it to make it better. Floyd said he didn't know, my friend didn't know either....so I just left it and it went off in all it's glory, completely unedited. The rules said you could alter it and make it sharper etc but over-editing is not allowed. So I just left it all well alone and didn't alter anything. They judge on technical ability (gulp), composition (gulp), understanding of the brief (whoops), originality and commercial appeal. The brief is animals in action, so I am screwed really!!! Here's the unedited, unclipped, unaltered stoat that I sent off.

It's a big thing for me...the only 3 people who ever encouraged my persuit of photography have passed away sadly. I think they'd be thrilled I'm trying!! I still need to try and do a portfolio for this other person who's shown an interest in my pics. I don't know where to start though or how to do it.

I think it's so easy to say 'look at my great photo' when it's of a beautiful landscape that you can't take a BAD photo of! So if I take a photo of a lovely castle by a lake and everyone says 'that's so cool', I feel a fraud, because it's not the photo that's cool, it's the scenery. I like clever photography, which I am no good at. But we live and learn and that's my goal, to be very good at it!!!

Soph x

6 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Let me know if you want to take a picture of a gorilla.

Soph said...

Will it be a family portrait with Tarzan and Jane etc, or just you?!

Clare said...

Michael would have been proud of you. I love your photos and my fav all time bestest so far is the one of Tolly looking over Mum's shoulder in the car when you were at The Leathers.

You've got to come out and take lots and lots and lots. Mum's muttering, but still not sure so come on your own!!!!

Why have you got comment moderation enabled?

Soph said...

Aw, thank you. M&M particularly were so good at convincing me to keep going with the pics. Do miss them both.

Ah! Sweet Tolly!!! Did I send a link to them all in my Photobucket account? If not, I will!

Mum's still muttering at me too!! I'll try and get it sorted again when I see her this weekend!! I looked at flights with Ryanair to Angouleme and it's £15 return! Including taxes!! amazing!

Soph said...

ps: comment moderating on because do get some spam occasionally!

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Hey there Sophie

I have not checked your blog for a while and was THRILLED to see your photo entry and also that you are putting a portfolio together! Thats wonderful!.

Just pick the photos that make you smile -the ones you love, that give you that deep-down "yesssss" when you look at it.

I love the ones of the slot canyon - its simply beautiful out west - so much to see, so much awe.

Fingers crossed for your Stoat entry - he's gorgeous.

I have also been playing a bit more with photos lately and have a few of them up on my blog www.lens2life.blogspot.com. I hope to put lots more up there soon. Just lovely to play.

What camera do you have? Again - good luck with your photos - that really made me happy to hear your news.

love and light
Annie