Wednesday 16 May 2007

Mid-week blues

Is it really only Wednesday today? After 2 four-day weeks I think I am struggling! It is so grey and wet outside and I seem to notice all the police sirens in London more when it is like this. I scurry along the crowded, rain slicked pavements in the drizzle desperate to get to my final destination, even if it does mean sitting in the office for 10 hours!

I had a business dinner last night at a smart, top notch restaurant in Soho called Arbutus. I had been quite looking forward to the meal but my stomach was doing backflips and cartwheels when I saw the menu.

One starter was 'braised pigs head with potato puree and caramelised onions' and the main dishes included bit of a rabbit I would never consider eating or lamb's tripe with trotters. I used to play at my friend's house aged 8 years old and we would help her mum by feeding their greyhound dogs. We had to feed them tripe and it was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

WHY? Can someone tell me why this food makes it to the menu of a top London eatery? I thought tripe and trotters were a delicacy which only a handful of people would ever consider eating! Most of the menu was like this. I managed to get them to rustle me up some asparagus for a starter and I had a nice vegetable risotto for a main. Phew! Off the hook!

There was a balls up with my taxi home. I ordered one on my corporate account but the driver actually kicked me out about 400 yards up the street because he thought he was going to SW18 and not SE18 where I live. His employers gave him the wrong postcode but it didn't stop him throwing me out on the street. I refused to get out of his cab until a new one had been ordered for me. It meant I had to stand on the street for 35 minutes. I was pretty peeved to say the least as I had promised Davo I would get back by 9.30pm to be online with him!!

As it happens, Floyd did a marvellous job of entertaining Davo! I think it was a 'boy's night in' :-) Well done Floyd!! The banjo playing was great!!!!

2 comments:

Clare said...

Welcome to Blogland. It's addictive! Lovely to read about last weekend. Any more photos? BTW you've missed off one other blog from your favourites.

Big sis xx

Lucia said...

I love the name of your blog! Keep posting when you are up to it again x x